This room served as an antechamber to the bedroom in the house occupied by Louys Trip.
The room was also connected to the dressing room (now the toilet area). The painting of the ceiling coffers was largely carried out by the artist Nicolaas de Heldt Stockade (1614-1669). It is not known who painted the overmantel originally purchased by Louys Trip, which refers to the story of the Roman hero Mucius Scaevola.
The architect Abraham van der Hart redesigned this room in 1817 to serve as a meeting room for the Academy; from 1855 it was used as a reading room and committee room. In the same year the room was christened the Bilderdijk Room ('Bilderdijkkamer') when a collection of manuscripts, books and drawings by Willem Bilderdijk (1756-1831) was housed here. Since 1938 this room has been used as a meeting room.