In the seventeenth century this room was used as an office ('Comptoir') by Louys Trip. In the years 1732-1733 the ceiling, chimney breast, wall layout and covering were altered to create a room which to this day exudes an eighteenth-century atmosphere.
The room contains the desk and chair of H.A. Lorentz. Lorentz was professor of theoretical physics at Leiden University, and was president of the Science Division of the KNAW. He received the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1902. Following the restoration of the Trippenhuis between 1988 and 1991, the artist Jan Dibbets was commissioned by the Government Buildings Agency to create a ceiling painting in the eighteenth-century frame. Dibbets gave the panel a dark-grey ground; on to this he placed a circular colour photograph, complete with perspective distortion, depicting a round, open window in the ruins of Soissons.