Maria Sibylla Merian Room

This room is made up of two identical rooms which in the seventeenth century served as the bedrooms of Hendrick and Louys Trip. For both these rooms, Vingboons designed an alcove and a portal giving access to a spiral staircase down to the ground floor and basement.

When the Trippenhuis was being converted to accommodate the Royal Institute of Sciences and the Royal Museum (the Rijksmuseum) in 1815–1817, the architect Abraham van der Hart created an opening in the dividing wall by removing the chimneypieces on either side of it. The columns that frame this opening were designed by Vingboons and originate from the large front rooms.

From bedroom to library

In 1817 these former alcove rooms of the Trip brothers began being used as the library of the Royal Institute. In 1988, the entire collection moved to a modern building on Joan Muyskenweg in Amsterdam. The Academy Library’s collection of books and manuscripts is currently housed at the International Institute of Social History at Cruquiusweg 31 in Amsterdam. The Maria Sibylla Merian Room is now a meeting venue for members of the Academy.

Bibliotheek