Rembrandt Room

In the seventeenth century this was the Great Hall (‘Grote Sael’) in the house occupied by Hendrick Trip, and was where the family received guests.

Rembrandtzaal

The paintings in the ceiling compartments are by Nicolaes de Helt Stockade (1614–1669). They refer to peace and to the Trip family’s merchandise.  The pinewood floor of this room dates back to when the Trippenhuis was built.

The Night Watch and the Banquet of the Amsterdam Civic Guard

Between 1815 and 1817, this room of the Trippenhuis was adapted to accommodate the Royal Institute and the Rijksmuseum. The dividing wall between the two large halls was removed, thus creating a large museum gallery.

Rembrandt’s Night Watch was displayed on the wall where the chimneypiece now stands, while on the wall opposite hung Bartholomeus van der Helst’s Banquet of the Amsterdam Civic Guard. The Academy has had the Rembrandt Room at its disposal since the Rijksmuseum moved to Stadhouderskade in 1887.