Provisional residence permit (MVV)

The provisional residence permit is called a Machtiging tot Voorlopig verblijf (MVV) and allows you entry to the Netherlands.

Not all nationalities need to apply for this type of permit; check the IND website to see if the MVV applies to you. If so, your HR officer will file the application on your behalf. The MVV will be issued by the Dutch Embassy in your current country of residence as a sticker in your passport. After entering the Netherlands, you will need a residence permit (VVR) to obtain lawful residency. The institute will apply for your residence.