Over the last week, reports have appeared about plans that the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) has concerning the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIAS) in the light of the, yet to be established, Humanities Center in Amsterdam. Yesterday the Board of the KNAW issued the following statement.
As is the case for the other KNAW Humanities institutes involved, NIAS will:
- Eventually move to Amsterdam;
- Intensify collaborations with the other KNAW institutes;
- Increase efficiency with respect to operational management and support.
And, as is the case for the other KNAW institutes, NIAS will:
- Uphold its (international) reputation, identity and mission;
- Remain autonomous in determining the content of its research programme, which covers not just the Humanities but also the Social Sciences as well interacting with the Natural and Technological sciences.
NIAS regrets leaving Wassenaar, but also sees new opportunities in Amsterdam and intends to contribute constructively to the elaboration of the new plans.
More information, contact Ms. Kahliya Ronde at firstname.lastname@example.org.